Monday, June 18, 2012

My two cents about Rooftop Prince

Okay! Super long post ahead~~ SPOILERS

So I’m totally in love with this drama. The cast is adorable, and their acting is superb. Jung Yumi is a great actress for making me hate Se Na more than anybody else in this world. The plot, even though it was really unrealistic, I really enjoyed it because it’s what made it unique! Plus it was my first sageuk drama, so that was fun.

But…there were a few things I’d have to criticize. I felt as if there were too many plot holes, and sometimes there were things just got too far-fetched, even for sageuk. First, I wish there was more interaction between Bak Ha and Chairman Jang. It seemed as if during that scene they discover each other, the writer decided never to have them in contact again. I’d expect after realizing Bak Ha was In Joo, Chairman Jang would be all over her. But, we don’t ever see her again, until Se Na turns herself in. Which brings me to another point.

Why were their moms there for Se Na, and they were never filmed to have visited Bak Ha? Isn’t Bak Ha the one who got hurt, nearly died, and is still recovering? Also, it seemed as if Bak Ha forgave TOO easily, even though she has such a nice heart. I mean, she abandoned you when you were a kid, she refused to acknowledge your presence, she tried to kill you so many times, and with her liver transplant, you actually forgive her?

Since this is getting too TL;DR, if you feel like not scrolling through this entire post, just click the read more thing.

The last 2 episodes are really emotional, yet there are so many holes and things I question. I felt as if they were really rushed, and the director didn’t have enough time. So why not extend? xD The scene where Bak Ha falls into the water, Lee Gak just stands there, not really doing anything. Come on, even if you are shocked, react a bit faster D: Anyhow, I guess that’s all drama mumbo jumbo. But…the random scene of Bak Ha laying on Lee Gak’s lap was so random and confusing. I really had no clue what was going on. It was also really frustrating when Lee Gak went after Tae Mu when he could easily have just left. During this scene also, where did Lee Gak randomly get his voice recorder? Did he have it there all the time, knowing Tae Mu would admit his crimes? It just seemed so…out of place.

Episode 20 is just…wow. So many emotions. It was funny, sad, whimsical, bittersweet. And I felt it was just a nice way to end it with Tae Yong there with Bak Ha, BUT, the director just needed to make Lee Gak appear in place of Tae Yong. Come on! What is that?! This only causes confused fans. Seriously. was that some kind of illusion, or did he really come back into the future?

The scene where old Tae Mu kills the two guards is so unrealistic. Didn’t they know how, obviously, they weren’t even touched by the swords? There’s not even blood on the sword. When the Prince appears back at the palace, didn’t anyone wonder where he went for the past day? So the whole scene where the truth with Bu Yong is revealed was also kind of awkward. It seemed so quick that Lee Gak could come up with this idea with the persimmons and everything. Even though he did know it was Bu Yong who died, wasn’t this just a bit..quick? I kind of wished there was an “ah-ha!” moment for Lee Gak regarding the persimmons and everything. Also, at first, I was REALLY confused, as to whether or not it was in the present, or past. I thought Bu Yong was still alive for a while. I just wish the editors added some kind of flash or a visual symbol to show it was a memory/idea. Though it did feel nice to know the truth, I looked like this:
And since when did Bu Yong and the Crown Princess have a brother? Hm. I really liked the whole “what lives when it dies and what dies when it lives” riddle. I always wanted to know the answer, and yay! We finally do.

In general, I felt the last episode was too rushed. There were many more things that could have been explained better, but why hadn’t they?

I feel as if I’m bashing the drama too much, but I really did enjoy it a lot. I’m going to miss the characters so badly! The last episode was also hilarious, as I always wondered what the common people would think with Lee Gak and his short hair, how they’d adapt with modern mindsets. I was super happy when I saw the ducklings again ^^ HEH the ketchup scene was so cute.

I enjoyed the ending so much. But, why did Tae Yong randomly enter the shop? I wish I saw more of Tae Yong recovering and adapting to the company and everything. I really wanted to see what Tae Yong would think of all the craziness of the drama. But..what we get instead is Bak Ha not realizing it’s Tae Yong ordering, and meeting him after seeing the postcard. I did find that part really cute though. It seemed like a nice way to tie it up together.

I really liked the actors and actresses. Yoochun is seriously amazing. The way he portrays Lee Gak is superb, because he has a really high air to him. He also keeps his mannerisms consistent, like the clearing of his throat, and the way he keeps his hands together behind him. Han Ji Min is really great as well. She’s so pretty and plays Bak Ha really well. She played the emotional scenes so sweetly, and I want to watch more dramas with her in them. The three ducklings are just adorable. They had to act really awkward, and their expressions when they discovered they were in a different time period were priceless. Lee Min Ho, Choi Woosik, Jung Sukwon, I’d be really excited if I saw a drama with them in it. And also the funny thing with Lee Minho is that I kept seeing his name and got excited because I thought he was that Lee minho, the one I get super fangirly over. Lee Tae Sang is a really nice guy, like super super amazing. He tweeted something to Yoochun that was really inspirational. Yet his character is such a…bad person [insert curse word]. Which proves how awesome of an actor he is.

Ah, I’m going to miss this drama so much. I’m so attached to the characters, and seriously, they are awesome! This made me such a Yoochun fangirl, ah! What am I going to look forward to now on Wednesdays and Thursdays? Oh man…the tears I shed because of this drama. Definitely top 3!

If you’ve finished reading my ramble, I applaud you.


#rooftop prince#park yoochun#Han Ji Min#lee min ho#choi woosik#Lee Minho#Han Jimin#Jung suk Won#Jung Sukwon#Lee Taesang

No comments:

Post a Comment