Sunday, June 17, 2012

HOME SWEET HOME

HOME SWEET HOME
As social and outgoing as I am, there are times I want to take time out, to be “isolated” or “secluded,” away from the blah-blah of life and the immorality of modern day society. Wary of attending gatherings of frivolity which may result in wasting time and weeping over my wrong doings, I am cautious of my external surroundings. By avoiding the things that divert me from Allah (SWT)’s obedience, I try to fortify my heart and stimulate my brain into positive action. My solitary moments within the confines of my home encourage me to think, reflect and become enlightened without entertaining idleness. It’s an environment where I can collect my thoughts and nurture the “a-ha” moments as my journal witnesses.

My home is a place of content

I may not have a fancy car or a beautiful house or a well paid job but neither did the early generations of Islam yet, despite these disadvantages, they led fruitful lives and they benefited mankind. Why? Because they used all that they were given and spent their time in the correct way.

“...So hold that which I have given you and be of the grateful.” - (Qur’an Surah 7:144)

My home is a place for good deeds

Doing good deeds results in being blessed in one’s sustenance. The responsibility of a wife and mother are not easy roles and Alhamdulillah I have been blessed with both. It is up to me to strive to fulfil each one, maintaining the balance without losing my identity as a Muslimah – first and foremost.

"...So hasten towards all that is good..." - (Qur’an Surah 2:148)

My home is a sanctuary

When I look around me, I see some who are afflicted and others who are unfortunate. In some houses there is mourning and in others, upon every cheek, run tears. My trials and tribulations seem few and futile in comparison. I compare myself with those around me and those before me and draw strength from the realisation that I am in good shape, relative to them.

“Whoever spends the night safely in his place of sleep, while he is physically healthy and has sufficient sustenance for his day, it is as if he achieved the world in its entirety.” - (Tirmidhi)

My home is my masjid

Sadly, this generation is consumed by psychological sicknesses and in order to avoid these ills my home is my masjid. I can offer my prayers and read the Qur’an at my leisure, without having to worry about a babysitter!

“Allah [Alone] is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs [for us].” - (Qur’an Surah 3:173)

My home entertains good friends

Every Muslimah needs a helpful and loving sister – to turn to, to share joys and hardships with and to reciprocate affection; I am no different. Outside of my home, I may greet another sister, spend time with her, give her gifts during happy occasions, etc, but to me this is only the surface level of sisterhood. In order to understand what this special relationship really means, I must go deeper than that and that is to love her for the Sake of Allah SWT and understand the elements that are involved.

“And He has united their [i.e., believers’] hearts...” - (Qur’an Surah 8:63)

“None of you has true Iman (faith) until he desires for his brother (or sister) Muslim that which he desires for himself (or herself).” - (Bukhari and Muslim)

"On the Day of Judgement, Allah, the Most High, will announce, 'Where are those who love each other for the sake of My pleasure? This day I am going to shelter them in the shade provided by Me. Today there is no shade except My shade.’” - (Muslim)

My home encourages creativity

It is an abode for inspiration and motivation; a place for insight and “a-ha” moments. My home stimulates ideas, nurtures aspirations and flourishes goals.

“Certainly, your efforts and deeds are diverse [different in aims and purposes].” - (Qur’an Surah 92:4)

Each day has its obstacles and to achieve the above can be a struggle. I can be impatient and too demanding of myself; I can be weak in faith and be overcome by the whispers. I remind myself to hold good opinion of my Lord and that ultimately He is the Disposer of all my affairs. My recompense is with Allah (SWT) and a great reward.

“Peace be upon you, because you persevered in patience! Excellent indeed is the final home!” - (Qur’an Surah 13:24)

“O Allah, bless my home with tranquillity, illumination and happiness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment